Sarrians and Vacqueyras are former lands of the Comtat Venaissin, the territory of the popes from 1274 to 1791, when the region joined France. The terraces of the Ouvèze were exploited as farmland by the papacy of Avignon from the 13th Century to the 19th Century. They cultivated grapevines, as we do today, but they also grew wheat, which diversified the plant life, in particular following the attacks of Phylloxera, which ravaged grapevines in Europe from 1865 to 1920. Since the beginning of the 20th century, grapes are again the main activity of the region.
On the estate, there were remains of the sheepfold, or “Bergerie”, now rebuilt to look like the original. The buildings and moorlands recall the history of agricultural and pastoral activity.